Do you feel as if your job has become your sole identity?
Are you always in “work mode”; even when you are socializing with your family and friends?
Ask yourself, “Am I living my dream”? If the answer is yes, then it’s likely not a problem, but if the answer is no, then it’s a good place to start asking even more questions.
The greater the role your job plays in your self-definition, the greater the challenge in living a happy and fulfilled life. It’s better to identify the extent of the role and determine what actions to take before it becomes a bigger problem.
Take one day and spend the entire day solely focused on self-awareness and self-evaluation. Schedule it as if you are attending a workshop, a workshop dedicated solely to you, your happiness and your future. You will be the only attendee for the day.
This is what the day’s agenda could look like:
- Wake up and start the day in a mindset of gratitude. Grateful that you are in a place where you are willing to dedicate a day to yourself.
- Take a few minutes and stretch your body. It doesn’t need to be vigorous, a little gentle stretching can help set the tone for the day.
- Get up and get dressed. Dress comfortably in clothes that are not tight or restricting in any way.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Something with a little protein and a complex carb for brain fuel.
- Find a place that is good for both writing and “thinking” with your eyes closed. Most importantly a place to sit down where you will not be disturbed for a couple of hours.
- Sit down with a pen and notebook (either paper or electronic).
- Ask yourself the following questions and write down the answers. The more time you take to consider the answers, the more powerful the experience will be.
- When it comes to my job/career who am I?
- Am I happy?
- Does this identity serve my highest self-interest, if so, in what way?
- If it does not serve my highest self-interest, what do I think I need to change?
- Am I willing to look at making changes at this time?
- Can I make enough money to feel secure if I make that change?
- If so, what else might be holding me back?
- What would my life look like if I made the change?
- What are the risks?
- What are the benefits?
- Once these questions are answered, take a short break.
- After the break, find a place where you can get comfortable.
- Fill out the form below and I will send you a short guided meditation.